Saturday, March 27, 2010

Redwood Regional Park... and yes, it's still Oakland

Although I've been to it a few times over the past year, I'm just starting to experience the unique splendor of Redwood Regional Park here in Oakland. Hard to believe it's only seven miles from where I live, this park at the top of the Oakland hills feels incredibly remote. The main attraction is an eight mile "fireroad" loop, but the appreciation comes from exploring the singletrack trails that are off the beaten path. In my opinion, there is a lot of technical terrain to be found, with lots of up and down with uneven footing and tight space. My favorit trail is the French Trail (most technical). The past couple of weeks I've found myself here trail running. I'm not much of a runner (although I was a triathlon geek a decade ago!), but the great NorCal weather has been inspiring. Actually, I kinda hate running because of the beating my feet take... but I do appreciate the environment (trail aspect) and exertion (workout). Not sure how long this "kick" will last, but it's nice to just get out and turn my mind off.